tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 23 20:38:12 1999

KLBC: Clause ordering...is this right?

Hung tlhab ghap luqotlhtaHHa' Hung luSuqmeH tlhabchaj lujeghqangbogh.

The purpose clause ' Hung luSuqmeH ' (in order to obtain security) precedes
the relative clause ' tlhabchaj lujeghqangbogh ' ( they which are willing to
surrender their freedom). This entire construction follows the head noun '
luqotlhtaHHa' ' (they are undeserving of it) because it is the subject of the
sentence. The object of the sentence is the phrase       ' Hung tlhab ghap '
( either security or freedom).

This was an attempt to translate something I heard on the radio today. The
quote was : " Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for security is deserving of
neither."

Is this correct? Is there a better way to recast this?

By the way, your comments and those of others regarding my last post were
appreciated. The use of the -wI' suffix was a stupid mistake, and I  know
better...I just got in a hurry.

juDmoS

Back to archive top level