tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 22 14:43:38 1999

Re: TKD and canon

: >my heart is yours, {tIqwIj qanob} or {SoHvaD tIqwIj vInob} "I give you my
: >heart."
: >quljIb
:
: Heart in this case means love, or it is merely the muscle?
:
: Edy

To Klingons the heart represents courage, bravery, honor, etc.  All the
warrior virtues.  I have no idea if Klingons associate romantic love with
one or more body parts (apart from their genitalia).  Worf, K'Ehleyr,
Alexander and B'Ellana - having been raised by and among humans - may
understand the reference, but I doubt most other Klingons would.

Some quotes about the heart {tIq} in Klingon tradition:

"... the heart stands for one's spirit or principles." (TKW 23, cf. "Heart
of Glory")

tIqlIj Da'angnIS
You must show your heart. PK

tIqwIj Sa'angnIS
I must show you my heart. TKW
	"For example, someone undergoing the Rite of Ascension says {tIqwIj
Sa'angnIS} 'I must show you [plural] my heart'." (st.k 6/97)]

tIqDaq HoSna' tu'lu'
Real power is in the heart.
	"In this phrase, the heart stands for one's spirit or principles." [TKW 23]

targh tIq
heart of targ
	"a traditional Klingon dish" (TKW 173)
	"Large animals are usually chopped into pieces, sometimes with attention
paid to which piece is which (thus a {tIq} [heart] might be served as a
dish in its own right)..." (KGT 87)
	"The heart of the targ beast, although targ are bred for food throughout
the Empire, the heart of the bred targ is considered weakened by
domestication. Only the heart of a wild, hunted targ is considered worthy
of eating. It is a rare delicacy." (KCD)
	Even though the dish may be served with the hearts of more than one targ,
the plural {tIqmey} is NEVER used in the name of the dish. This food item
is described and shown in KCD.
	B'Ellana had to eat "from the heart of a sanctified targ" during the
holodeck program she and Tom Paris wrote to commemorate the Klingon Day of
Honor ("Day of Honor").  In this case, the heart appeared to be raw.

qagh, ro'qegh'Iwchab, targh tIq Sop 'e' lungIl Humanpu' puS.
Few humans dare to eat gagh, rokeg blood pie, or heart of targ. S21

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level