tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 17 15:33:08 1999

Re: HerQ

pagh, jIjang 'e' yIchaw'neS.

ja' ali seymen alkara <[email protected]>:
>Qo'noSDaq ghoSqa' HerQ luneHHa' tlhInganpu' 'e' vIyajchu'

<HerQ> vIghovbe'.  Hur'Iqngan Daqel'a'?

>Any errors?

While it's technically not an error, using {-Daq} with {ghoS} is a
bit redundant.  TKD page 28 explains how this works.  We've also had
a little more clarification on the sort of words "whose meanings
include locative notions" from Marc Okrand, in an interview recorded
in the December 1998 issue of HolQeD.

You misspelled {Hur'Iq}.  It's a slang term for "outsider, foreigner".
KGT page 153 describes the word, explaining that the term for Hur'q
society has come to mean any outside group.  A Hur'q person would be
a {Hur'Iqngan}.

You used the suffix {-Ha'} "undo" where {-be'} "not" is appropriate.

On the positive side, your word order is perfect, your prefixes are
correct, you properly used the word {'e'} where it was needed, and
you left it out where it was not. :-)

>How do we translate a verb with -Ha' ?

I translate it using the description at the bottom of page 47 of TKD.
It implies an undoing of a previous condition, or an action that was
done wrongly.  {luneHHa'} seems to say "they un-want him".  (It sounds
a lot like a common way of referring to a child born of an unplanned
pregnancy.)  If you just mean "they do not want it", {luneHbe'} is the
proper word.

>How do we incorporate again and return concepts into a sentence?

The suffix {-qa'} "resume" usually fits the "again" idea, though it's
not definitely appropriate for referring to a recurring event.  There
is a word {chegh} defined as "return", which would probably be perfect
for the idea you are trying to express here.

Qo'noSDaq chegh Hur'Iqngan luneHbe'bej tlhInganpu'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level