tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 21 17:45:23 1998

RE: KLBC: Simple Klingon

lab qurgh HoD:

> I was asked by a friend to write a really simple Klingon
> story, so I did. I was wondering if you would look over it.

lu'

> ---------
>
> ravDaq
> ravDaq ba''a' targh
> ravDaq ba'taH targh
> ravDaq ba'pu'
>
> On the floor.
> Is the targ on the floor?
> The targ is on the floor.
> She sat on the floor.

The last line looks like a case of aspect as tense. On the third line,
you say she is - in the time context of the sentence - continuously
sitting on the floor. On the last line, you say she is - in the time
context of the sentence - finished sitting on the floor. Unless the targ
gets up between these lines, and I can tell from later on in your song
she doesn't, this is a contradiction. Leave off the <-pu'>, or change it
to <-taH>.

> targh legh yIH
> ravDaq ba'taH 'e' legh
>
> The tribble sees the targ.
> He can see she is on the floor.

maj.

> yIH tlha' targh leghchugh
> DaH yIH legh targh
> yIHDaq qetpu' targh
> nISwI'wIj thappu' qoHvetlh 'ej targhwIj baHpu'
> 'e' yIbuS!
>
> The targ will chase the tribble is she sees him.
> How the targ sees the tribble.
> The targ ran at the tribble.
> That fool took my phaser and shot my targh.
> Imagine that!

Once again, you don't need the <-pu'> in the second and third lines.
What you are saying is that during the course of the song, the action
had already taken place. Not what you want.

"Imagine that!" is an English idiom expressing wonder or puzzlement. You
really can't translate it literally. Think about the idea behind it and
come up with something that expresses that idea.

> t tIn, m mach, D Doghbe'
> pa'HomDaq 'oHtaH targh'e'
> 'ej mu'leghlaHbe'
>
> Big t, small m, not silly D
> The targ is in the cupboard
> and she can't see me!

I'm really not sure what to make of the first line here, but this is
obviously a story for children, so I don't mind it. The rest is just
fine.

> This is really simple, it's supposed to be a Dick and Jane
> kinda thing, just a start.

batlh Dap bomvam Daqon. maj.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian