tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 28 13:42:48 1998

Re: ["the fish of your brother, Raoul"]

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, mphilli1 wrote:

>i'm trying to translate something and well i think i could use some help
>on it, so here is one phrase i'm having problems with if anyone wants to
>help me please do so.
>	Show me the fish of your brother, Raoul
>	Raoul 'amg jIH 'bIQDep'a SoH ioDnI'

If "Raoul" is the brother's name:

	loDnI'lI' Raoul bIQDep HI'ang!
	Show me your brother Raoul's fish!

If you are speaking to Raoul about his unnamed brother:

	loDnI'lI' bIQDep HI'ang, Raoul!
	Show me your brother's fish, Raoul!

	Raoul, loDnI'lI' bIQDep HI'ang!
	Raoul, show me your brother's fish!

Don't just look up Klingon words in the glossary and plug them into the
English word order.  That's what the Paramount writers do -- at least when
they're not just making up Klingon sounding (to them) gibberish!  Marc
Okrand intentionally made the syntax of Klingon different from English or
most other Terran languages.

Take the time to read the grammar section of TKD over a few times.  Pay
particular attention to the prefixes and suffixes used with verbs and
nouns.  If you have questions, feel free to ask them here.  Flag the
Subject line with "KLBC" (don't forget to add a Subject, BTW) and our
Beginning Grammarian pagh will answer.

--
Voragh