tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 26 11:02:04 1998

Re: chon qaq

From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>

>On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 06:27:34 -0800 (PST) "Lieven L. Litaer"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> is that understandable:
>> {chon qaq law' gheD qaq puS}?
>>
>> (the chase is better than the catch)

>My problem with this is that it implies a comparison between a
>process (hunting) and a creature (prey). I think you mean to
>compare two experiences. For that, I think you'd be better with
>one of those rare uses (and I mean this really needs to remain
>rare) of {-ghach}.
>
>chonlI'ghach qaq law' chonta'ghach qaq puS.

Personally, I think muHwI''s original sentence, {chon qaq law' gheD qaq puS}
is superior.  It's not being entirely explicit, but then, proverbs often are
not.  Your sentence is certainly more expressive and more accurate (if you
make these {wamlI'ghach} and {wamta'ghach}, but it could hardly be viewed as
a proverb.

Let's not be so careful that we forget to speak normally.

SuStel
Stardate 98904.2

Back to archive top level