tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 25 11:49:54 1998

RE: chon qaq

lab charghwI':

> On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 06:27:34 -0800 (PST) "Lieven L. Litaer"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > is that understandable:
> > {chon qaq law' gheD qaq puS}?
> >
> > (the chase is better than the catch)
> >
> > muHwI'
>
> My problem with this is that it implies a comparison between a
> process (hunting) and a creature (prey). I think you mean to
> compare two experiences. For that, I think you'd be better with
> one of those rare uses (and I mean this really needs to remain
> rare) of {-ghach}.
>
> chonlI'ghach qaq law' chonta'ghach qaq puS.
>
> Think about it.

I don't really object to the original phrase - I think the comparison is
somewhat valid - but the alternative you provided is more descriptive and
fits the idea better. Unfortunately, unless you know of a source I do not,
<chon> is just a noun. The verb that should be used here is <wam>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level