tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 25 08:32:36 1998

Re: Question

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 06:51:37 -0800 (PST) Patrick Masterson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> How would I write a statement with the instrumental case, like "I hit
> him with a stick."?
> I usually translate it as "I use a stick in order to hit him." or
> vIqIpmeH naQ vIlo'
> Is that correct? (or even acceptable?)

It is definitely correct and acceptable. It is the most common
way to handle this. It is not exclusively correct. You could say
odd things like:

naQvaD nuvvetlh vIngeQmoH. I caused the stick to collide with
that person.

This latter example has less of a focus on that you used and the
purpose of its use than a simple explanation of what happened. I
could have used {mup} instead of {ngeQ}. There are almost always
options.

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level