tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 01 10:36:49 1998

KLBC Shakespears Sisters lyrics.

I've tried to translate a few lines from Shakespears Sister's "Stay" into
Klingon. And just wondered how I was doing. Could the grammarian take a
look at this?

Is there a way to say "pray to (a god or diety)" in Klingon, or can I use
{qoy'} "plead, beg" as if it meant that?

  You better hope an pray that you make it safe back to your own world.
  {qo'lIjDaq bIcheghchu'; 'e' Datul 'ej 'e' Daqoy'.}

Here I think I'm saying "To return perfectly to your realm, you hope that
and you beg (for) that." But how can I say "it would be best if...", "It
would be good if you.."? Or pehaps all this Klingon thinking have gotten me
completely off track. =|:-)

Also, If I use the {'e'} pronoun, referring to the previous sentence as a
whole (as I do here) can I do this twice in the same sentence? Like in {'e'
Datul 'ej 'e' Daqoy'} above. Or would the last {'e' Daqoy'} refer to the
part of this sentence before the {'ej}?

  You better hope and pray that you wake one day in your own world.
  {wa' jaj qo'lIjDaq bIvem; 'e' Datul 'ej 'e' Daqoy'.}

Perhaps there is a better/easier way to say "some time", "any day" or "in
the future"? Otherwise what I said about the previous sentence pretty much
applies here too.. (I think I am saying something like "One day, you in
your realm will wake, you hope that and you beg (for) that."

  'Cause when you sleep at night, they dont hear you cries in your own
  word.
  {bIQongtaHvIS, bIjach, qo'lIjDaq 'e' Qoybe'.}

I think I'm saying "When you sleep, they don't hear you scream in your
realm." Is there another way to say this, that bears a close resemblence to
the original line?

  Only time would tell if you can break the spell back in your own world
  {qo'lIjDaq bIchegh'eghmoHlaHchugh; leS 'e' Sovlu'.}

Here I think Im saying something like: "If you're able to return yourself
to your own word, it will be known days from now."

/Zrajm C

--
   Zrajm C Akfohg       Klingonska akademien   090-133423
   [email protected]   http://come.to/ka      ICQ:16769663

Back to archive top level