tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 23 15:31:55 1998

Re: Mike's New Handle!

: 	I've just decided to change my handle from {juplI'} or {jupra'} to
: {yaywI'} which I beleive means winner or, more technically, 'one who is
: victorious'.
:
: 	Thanks,		yaywI'

Well, a name is a name is a name...  but you may want to consider this a bit
further before you commit yourself.  {yay} is the *noun* meaning "victory,
triumph" and can't take the verb suffix {-wI'}.  Examples of {yay} from canon:

     potlhbe'chugh yay qatlh pe''eghlu'?
     If winning is not important, then why keep score? TKW

     noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu'
     Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory... TKW

     noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS
     In war there is nothing more honorable than victory. TKW

     yay 'oS bey. 'IQ pagh.
     This yell is victorious in nature, rather than mournful...  (SkyBox S31)

There are, as you would expect for Klingons, verbs for this idea.  {chargh}
"conquer, vanquish, be victorious".  (Be warned: we already have a
{charghwI'} "victor, conqueror" on the list and I'm sure you will hear from
him in due time.)  Examples:

     jagh lucharghlu'ta'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj
     May the bile of the vanquished fill your hands! PK

     SuvmeH 'ej charghmeH bogh tlhInganpu'
     Klingons are born to fight and to conquer. TKW

     vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh
     Conquer what you desire. TKW

     charghbej vIt
     [untranslated] KCD

     qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb
nganpu'
       buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH. nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
     this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the menacing
       profiles of their battlecruisers. (SkyBox SP1)

     reH lugh charghwI'
     The victor is always right.  TKW

     qun qon charghwI'pu''e'
     History is written by the victors. TKW

{Qap} "succeed, work, function" was extended to mean "win (a competition, or
a war)" by Okrand in KGT.  Okrand explains in HolQeD 2.4 (p.18): "To win a
competition is {Qap}. (If it's a decisive or particularly gratifying
victory, they'd say {Qapchu'}, even though that's a bit redundant... To a
Klingon, to win is to function perfectly. The opposite notion, `lose', is
commonly {luj}, also meaning `fail'."  Examples:

     bIlujlaHbe'chugh bIQaplaHbe'
     If you cannot fail, you cannot succeed
     ("If you cannot lose, you cannot win").  TKW

     noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu'
     "Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory" TKW

     pIj maSuvpu', batlh maSuvpu' 'ej maQapbejta'
     In our many battles, we have fought with honor and achieved VICTORY!
(Hallmark)

Notice that there seem to be a couple of phrases/idioms: {yay chav}
"achieve/gain victory" and {noH Qap} "win a war", both used in the second
example from TKW.

Voragh

Back to archive top level