tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 18 12:11:26 1998

cha'puj (was RE: Sor Hap - Some musings)

ngach Voragh, pagh je:

jIghItlh:
You missed one - {Dom} - radan (crude dilithium crystal) (n). I believe
this is the unprocessed (or perhaps only crudely processed) {cha'puj}
you were wondering about.

mujang Voragh:
Thanks.  But since we're speculating on imaginary geology & technology
in an
imaginary language, let's be sure we get the details right.  {Dom} is
glossed as "radan (crude dilithium)" - not crystals, at least not yet.
FWIW, {cha'pujqut} "dilithium crystal" was defined on MSN as "Elemental
crystal used in the reaction of matter and antimatter to generate
power." So
what is the relation between these three?  Is {Dom} the raw output of
the
mine ("dilithium bearing rock" as it were), i.e. what we saw the
prisoners
on Rura Penthe gathering?  After some processing is {cha'puj}
"dilithium"
extracted from the {Dom}?

jIghel:
>From what source do you get this? My TKD lists {Dom} as "radan (crude
dilithium crystal) (n)" on both the English and Klingon sides.

taH Voragh:
Is {cha'pujqut} "dilithium crystal" a variant form of {cha'puj} or is it
the
result of further refinement?  In a TOS episode ("Elaan of Elaas" ?),
the
Elaasian princess had a necklace of raw dilithium crystals, which Scotty
was
able to make use of in his "wee bairns" to save the ship from a Klingon
attack after all the Enterprise's own Starfleet-issue crystals had been
"burned out".  Elaan said the crystals were common on her world, which
explained the Klingon interest in that star system.  I wonder if the
further
refinement is a careful cutting of the raw crystals to precise shapes
and
angles, along with an inspection for any crystalline faults, or
"microfractures" as they would probably say in Trek.  I remember Scot
was
worried about the irregular shapes of the raw crystals and was hesitant
send power through them.

jItaH
Wow! Never underestimate the thoroughness of the Ca'non master!

pagh

Back to archive top level