tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 12 14:35:25 1998

Re: Sor Hap - Some musings

At 01:28 PM 3/12/98 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
>According to Terrence Donnelly:

[...]
>> 3. The contrasted phrase {baS 'etlh} indicates to me that when there is
>> a simple word for a substance, you can use the simple N1-N2 phrase with no
>> trouble: {mem HIvje'} = 'plastic cup'; {nav nIvnav nIv} = 'superior paper
>> pajamas' (i.e., like you wear in the hospital).
>
>ghaytan. But make that {mep HIvje'}. You might buy one from a
>{HIvje' mem}, though.

HIvqa' veqlargh. I usually write these at work, without my TKD.  Obviously,
my memory sometimes fails me.

>> 4. (WARNING: Idle speculation follows)  The fact that there seems to be
>> no simple word for 'wood' leads me to wonder if there are few types of trees
>> in the Klingon flora that yield wood suitable for construction or for
>> handiwork.  I imagine the Klingon landscape to be dominated by shrubs {lav}
>> and maybe grasses {tIr?} and bamboo-like plants.  Is there a common name
>> for the substance of these sorts of plants?  Maybe, {nIn}?
>
>jISaHbe'. Of course, we see wooden items in their architecture,
>furniture and accessories on the CD, in the movies and TV...

But, we also tend to see the dwellings of the upper classes, who could
probably afford to own even rare wooden items.  Also, in the case of the
CD, we see a settlement on another world, where the flora might
be different.

- ter'eS

Back to archive top level