tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 09 06:51:18 1998

qepHommey

This is likely to become a quarterly announcement, but I don't want
anyone to ignore it just because they think they've seen it before.
If you've been on the list for long enough to have seen it twice,
you've probably been on it long enough to take some responsibility for
promoting the language.  I've been corresponding with some of you
already (you know who you are) and I'm expecting you to follow through
with your commitments.

***

yIqIm!  yIbuS!  To each of you and all of you,  peqIm!  pebuS!

We speakers of the Klingon language are an active and growing group,
and it's up to all of us to keep that happening.  There are people
"out there" who are as excited about tlhIngan Hol as you are but do
not yet realize that there are others with whom they can share their
passion.  Find them!  There are people who do not yet know that they
will love this language if only they get a taste of it.  Reach them!
There are even those who are deeply into Star Trek and who consider
knowing how to speak Klingon a useful skill.  Seek them as well.

Remember:  mataHmeH maSachnIS -- to survive, we must expand.

If you are willing to host a {qepHom} in the next few months, there is
an honored spot in the upcoming issue of _HolQeD_ for you.  The task
is not difficult.  Remember that these are "minor meetings" -- they
are not supposed to be big productions.  The flyers that the KLI can
provide call them "informal gatherings of Klingon enthusiasts."

There have been qepHommey held in restaurants, bookstores, and even
people's homes.  Your job as a qepHom host is simply to set up and
advertise the event, then to discuss with the people who show up the
reasons you enjoy speaking this language.  Tell them a little about
the history of the language and where it's going.  Have a collection
of reference books and _HolQeD_s out for people to look through.
Maybe listen as a group to _Conversational Klingon_.  Practice the
correct pronunciation of such useful phrases as {nuqDaq yuch Dapol}
and {reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'}.  Show off your treasured copy of _Hamlet:
the Restored Klingon Version_.  You *do* have a copy don't you?

So pick a time and place and let me know by the end of this week.  The
_HolQeD_ deadline is March 15.  All we need right now is a date, a
city, and a name with a phone number to contact for more information.
As the time gets closer, I can help with promotional material and
information to distribute before and during the event.  Please don't
respond on the list, but directly to me <mailto:[email protected]>.

--
  Alan Anderson, professional programmer and amateur Klingonist
      qepHom Coordinator for the Klingon Language Institute

Back to archive top level