tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 03 12:47:16 1998

Re: thing

At 11:58 98-03-03 -0800, Metalvikng wrote:
}I have always wondered why when refering to seeing something, the word
}"doch" is always used. EX: dochvetlh vileghpu'" I saw it.
}wouldnt dochvetlh translate  THAT THING when the object seen was a known
}Item?

Dochvetlh vIleghpu' - note that capitalization is very important - does
translate as "I have seen that thing."  Simply "I saw it" would be {'oH
vIlegh} or {vIlegh}.

}It seems the word doch is sorta outta place and overused.

I'll tell you why you see it a lot.  It's used not in place of the word "it"
but in place of the word "that."  In English you can us the word "that" as a
noun. In Klingon the demonstrative adjective ("that person") is a suffix
({nuvvetlh}), and ther is no demonstrative pronoun ("I want that").  So to
say, "I want that" in Klingon, you must say "I want that <something>."  Most
of the time, the word {Doch} is used {Dochvetlh vIneH}.

Often this is a habit of lazy translators, and often there are stronger
words to use.  Write for us an example of how YOU say things.  If you want
it corrected and commented on, put KLBC in the subject line.

}Metalvikng ( I dont have a Klingon Name as of yet).

Not a problem.  I wasn't called Qov until a few months after I joined.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level