tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 30 13:57:19 1998

Re: Emperor

[email protected] wrote:

: Is there a difference between using voDleH and ta' for emperor?  Is it
: something archaic or something about context?

We don't know.  Okrand didn't discuss the difference between the two in
"Klingon For the Galactic Traveller".  Neither word has been used by itself
in context, but both have been used as elements of noun-noun phrases:

{ta' Hol}  "standard dialect" (i.e. proper, grammatical Klingon) KGT
[shortened from ta' tlhIngan Hol, the "Emperor's Klingon" (KGT 14f) Cp. "the
King's English"]

{ta' tlhIngan Hol}  "the Emperor's Klingon" [usually shortened to ta' Hol,
it's the term used for the standard dialect (KGT 14f)]

{voDleH Ha'DIbaH}  emperor's meat KGT  ["If the meat is somewhat older, a
common preparation technique is to HaH (marinate) it in any of a wide
variety of concoctions containing 'Iw (blood) and/or vIychorgh (sap) as a
base, along with assorted animal parts. Meat prepared in this style is also
called voDleH Ha'DIbaH (emperor's meat), again with the specific animal used
instead of Ha'DIbaH; for example, voDleH lIngta' (emperor's lingta).
(Presumably there was an emperor at one time who liked his meat prepared in
this fashion.) All but the least experienced cooks have chanDoq (marinade)
prepared well in advance of a meal, keeping a large container of the brew
around at all times and constantly adding new ingredients to it as they
become available." (KGT 90f)]

Personally, I think {ta'} is the one used as a rank or title -- based solely
on the fact that most ranks are one syllable words.  I realize that some
titles (e.g. {DevwI'} and {ra'wI'}) don't fit this pattern, though they do
follow a personal name.  Okrand on titles:

"When used with an individual's name, a title follows the name: tlha'a HoD
(Captain Klaa), cheng Sa' (General Chang), qeng la' (Commander Kang), and so
on." (KGT p.52)

"If someone has an official title, such as a military rank or a position in
the government, this title follows the name; for example, martaq Sa'
(General Martok), ghawran Qang (Chancellor Gowron). When addressing such a
person, the title is left off only when the occasion is decidedly
nonofficial." (KGT p.197f)

Thus, {pa' 'elpu' qeylIS ta'} "Emperor Kahless has entered the room" vs.
{DaH voDleH'e' vIlegh vIneH} "I want to see the *emperor* now!"

Maltz, of course, could prove me wrong at any time.

Voragh

Back to archive top level