tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 28 13:20:56 1998

Re: KLBC: jIchegh

---Quvar muHwI' <[email protected]> wrote:

> Am/Um 22:10 27.06.98 -0700 schrieben Sie:

> >>  Preliminaries are discouraged.  I blame some of the nuqneH
problem on
> >>  the flysheet of TKD where the word is introduced as being a
> flysheet? salutation? where?
> puvbogh nav? van? nuqDaq?

TKD, first or second edition.  Lift the front cover.  On the page
before the title page (this page sticks to the cover in the second
edition because of the shoddy binding) is a page headed, "Learn to
Speak Klingon Like a Native with Easy Phrases Like:"  The firt example
is "What do you want (greeting) - nuqneH."

If you only read that far in the book you would figure nuqneH was
"hello."  You have to read the introduction to see that such
preliminaries are best skipped, and few people do, especially as Marc
has made it look like a dry collection of disclaimers and "thanks to
my funding body."

> >>  salutation, and the rest on the non-Klingon speaking Klingon RPG
> who or what is RPG?
> nuq 'oH *RPG*'e'?

Role Playing Games.  tlhInganpu' Da nuv puS, QojtaHvIS.  motlh
Internet lulo'

> >jIHvaD mu'tay' Qatlh law' pab Qatlh puS.  not
> >jIghItlhmeH mu'ghom
> >vIlo'nIStaH!!

I think you wrote /not/ where you meant /reH/.

> >(For me, vocabulary is more difficult than grammar.  In order to
write, I
> >always need to keep using a dictionary!!)
> not Dalo'nIS'a'?? reH Dalo'nISlaw' ;-)

I use the dictionary mainly to look up the section numbers to tell
people to reread them.  (I always say "reread" even when I suspect
someone hasn't read it in the first place, in order to hint that I
expect you to have read everything).   wej Hoch KGT mu'tay vISov, 'ach
HochHom vIghovlaH 'e' vItul.  pIj mu'ghom vIghajbe'taHvIS KLBCmey
vIjang.  rut "I'm not sure of this" jIjatlh. "Double check this
vocabulary" jIjatlhchugh, rut Qaghna' vIlegh 'ej taghwI' vIqotlh.  rut
DIch vIghajbe' jIH.

> >pongmey jatlhlu'bogh vIlIj 'ach pongmey
> ghItlhlu'bogh vIqawlaHlaw'.  rut
> >Do'be'bej qawlaHbe'ghach.
> vaj pongwIj yIlaD 'ej yIqawqu': muHwI' :-)
> muHwI' jIHbe' 'ach muHwI' 'oH pongwIj'e'.

SoH qaqawbej.

> >ghotpu' law' qawmoHlaw' pongwIj.
> >(Apparently my name reminds many people.)
> ghotpu' law' qaw'a' ponglIj??
>
> >I don't know how to add the concept of reminding them "about me" or
"of
> me" to
> >that sentence.  Could it make sense anyway, since it was in reply
to what you
> >said...?
> If you say "my name", isn't it clear that it's you? Well I'll leave
that to
> Qov, I probably misunderstand the question;-)
> mu' <pongwIj> Dalo'chugh Daghovlu'law', qar'a'? chaq qayajbe', vaj Qov
> wIloSnIS.

I'm lost in the attributions here.  I'm hoping none of it is something
I said, because I don't remember saying it, and I don't understand it.
 Don't you hate it when you look and see that you've written gibberish?

ghotpu' law' qawmoHlaw' pongwIj.

My name apparently reminds many people.
My name apparently causes many people to remember.

In context that works to mean "of me."

You could say ...

ghotpu' law'vaD muqawmoHlaw' pongwIj

... in the manner of the SkyBox card I don't have access to right now.
 Something not much like WorfvaD qorDu' qawmoH Ha'qujDaj. "Worf's sash
reminds him of his family."

> Qov, 'oy'naQlIj yIlo'qa'Qo'! Hoch vIjangpu'be' ;-)

SoHvaD wa'logh vIlo'ta' 'e' vIHar.  bIghojchu'.  qubqu' 'oy'naQwIj
lupoQbogh wanI'mey'e'.  motlh jIbuQDI' lob taghwI'pu'. :)