tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 28 12:03:09 1998

Re: KLBC: not once, not twice...

---Quvar muHwI' <[email protected]> wrote:
> We know the suffix {-be'} "not", which is a Verb
> suffix.
> e.g. {qaleghbe'} "I do not see you"
>
> Is there a way to use this with nouns ("not your
> dog") or even other words
> ("not once")?

Good question.  It was my inability to say "I am not a Klingon" that
stopped my initial efforts to study Klingon.  Negating a to be
sentence (which is what "negating a noun" is) is done be putting the
suffix on the pronoun.  In pronoun as to be sentences (PTB), the
pronoun takes verb suffixes.  This is written in section 6.3, but I
missed the significance when I started.

"Spot is not your targ."
targhlIj 'oHbe' Spot'e'.

> I came up with this idea with the song "Degh" which > ends with
> *mu'vaD [...] maQam. wa'loghbe', cha'loghbe' 'ach
> wejlogh*
> "We stand up for (our) word(s) [...] not once, not
> twice but thrice"

No.  That doesn't work at all.

> Or should it only be {wa'logh maQambe'} etc ?

Quite right.  If you need to shorten it you could use a question and
answer format, "wa'logh?  Qo'!  cha'logh?  Qo'! wejlogh?  HISlaH!."

You can chop Klingon into partial sentences for the sake of natural
speech or for a song, but they must be partial *Klingon* sentences,
not partial English ones.