tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 25 11:35:34 1998

KLBC: jIchegh

nuqneH. notjISaH 'oH pongwIj'e'. Hu' law'qu' jabbI'IDghomvaD jabbI'IDHommey
puS vIghaq. ghaytan vIqawbe'lu' 'ach chaq tugh maSovchuqchoH.  tlhIngan-Hol
qeqqangbe'pu' DuSaQDaq jIHaDtaHmo'.  DaH jIghIQtaH 'ej Holvam vIghojqa'.

(rather stilted) translation:

Hello.  My name is *notjISaH*.  Very many days ago, I contributed a few little
messages to the mailing list.  Likely I am not remembered, but maybe soon we
will come to know each other.  I have not been willing to practice the
*tlhIingan* language because at school I was studying.  Now I'm on vacation
and I resume learning this language.

...some questions came up while I was writing...

vIqawbe'lu'     -- if I use the passive-voice translation, it seems to say "I
am not remembered," which could refer to the whole list like I wanted, but if
I read it as "indefinite_subject (someone) does not remember me," it seems to
say either that one of the readers of the list doesn't remember me or that
some random indefinite group does not, neither of which is what I meant.

vIqawlu'be'     -- If be' negates the rest of the sentence as a whole, this
seems to work for "no one remembers me." / "I am not remembered."  If be' is
supposed to modify lu'...umm, I guess I'm lost, so that's the end of this.

I guess recasting as tuqawbe'...."you (pl.) do not remember me"....is more
direct and makes more sense, but I just wanted to learn how to use the -lu'
suffix correctly in this situation.

DaH jIghIQtaH 'ej Holvam vIghojqa'.      -- do adverbials at the beginnings of
compund sentences refer to both simple sentences, or just the first one?  If
the "now" only affects the first sentence, does the conjunction still imply a
relationship between the first and second halves, or should I do something to
make the meaning more clear like repeating *DaH* or using a type 9 clause?

hey again, Qov, if you're still subjecting yaself to fools like meeeeee!!

thanks a lot. bye.

--notjISaH

Back to archive top level