tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 22 21:57:35 1998

Re: KLBC

In a message dated 98-06-19 01:15:05 EDT, ghunchu'wI' answers:

<< The examples I've seen of the word {qIp} don't fit the way you want
 to use it, based on the "'til the clock has finished striking" phrase.
 {qIp} refers to hitting something with a hand or tool, as opposed to
 {ngeQ} "bump into", {moq} "beat (with an implement)", or {mup} "impact".

Considering the etymology of "strikes" when referring to a clock, I choose
{mup} to indicate a device inside the clockworks is striking another object to
make a sound, and this all occurs only at designated times, eg. on the hours.

peHruS

Back to archive top level