tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 20 22:35:37 1998

Re:

---F Moag <[email protected]> wrote:

> How would I translate these simple sentences into > Klingon:
>
> What is your name?             [ nuq 'oH ponglIj ]

Have another look at section 6.3 on to-be.  The {-'e'} suffix on the
subject is not optional in the to-be construction.  Use:

nuq 'oH ponglIj'e'

> How are you? into Klingon.    [ DotlhlI' nuqneh ]

If you mean "how are you?" as the friendly sentence that English
speakers use after "hi" and before whatever it is that they are
actually talking about, there is no Klingon equivalent.  The correct
Klingon is NOT to spew useless phrases, but to cut straight to the
"third thing" the point of the conversation.

If it were relevant to ask a Klingon how he was, I can see a military
situation:  clipped {Dotlh!} "status!" or {Dotlhraj yIjalth} "state
your status."  I get the idea it would be incorrect to ask a Klingon
how he was even if he were known to be injured or ailing.  *I* hate
being asked how I am.  It's like the person is taunting me or trying
to remind me of having been sick.

A note on your suggested construction: the {-lI'} suffix is used only
on possessions that are also people/language using beings.  {puqlI'} -
your child {DotlhlIj} - your status