tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 15 19:13:01 1998

Re: RE: jabbI'ID cha'

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:39:44 -0700 (PDT) "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > toH, pagh: tlhu'moHlaH chuvmey mojaqmey 'ej nIjonlaw'pu' ...
>
> >> I read this as "They slowly implant ...", which is not
> >> what you want. Here is my suggestion: <nomqu' QaptaH tIqDaj
> >> 'ej qay'. tIqDajDaq jotmeH jan lulan HaqwI'.>
>
> > */nomqu'/ ??  A verbal affix on an adverb?
>
> I have used <nomqu'> for a long time, and I have a vague feeling it
> might be used somewhere in canon (I think Qugh HoD said it once).

ghaytanHa' jay'!

Okrand gave us {-Ha'} and only {-Ha'} as a suffix for
adverbials. It would be nice to have {-qu'} and {be'} for them,
like we have them for verbs used adjectivally, but so far, we
don't have that from Okrand.

> That
> is hardly a valid defense, and I should not have used it in a KLBC. In
> any case, the {-qu'} is unnecessary and can be removed.

This is also the lesser common useage for Qap. I would have
expected {vum} or {yuv}. 'ach Qapbej mu' <<Qap>>. qay'be'.
mu'vam DawIvchu'ta'.

> > How about: "they will install a device to de-accelerate her
> > heart"? There may be a noun you can use to clarify what about
> > her heart will be slowed, and some people may object to jom,
> > maybe preferring {ghaHDaq lulan}.
>
> > /tIqDaj chungHa'meH jan lujom/
>
> > It is ambiguois (and unimportant) whether the {-meH} clause
> > describes the noin or the verb.
>
> mu'tlheghlIj nIv law' mu'tlheghwIj nIv puS. Both {chungHa'} and {jom}
> are superior vocabulary choices. I don't see how anybody could object to
> {jom} "install (a device)". That seems to be exactly what's happening.

I kinda like:

tIqDaj jotmoHmeH jan jom Qel.

It is interestingly ambiguous grammatically, while all the
different grammatical translations have the same meaning.

The doctor installed a device in order that it calms her heart.
The doctor installed an in-order-to-calm-her-heart device.
The doctor installed it, in order that the device calm her heart.

qetmo' tIqDaj yItnISDI', tIqDaj jotmoHmeH jan jom Qel.

DaparHa''a'?

> pagh

charghwI'

Back to archive top level