tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 10 11:02:44 1998

Re: jIQuch

[email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-09 14:25:09 EDT, Christiane, Holtej & charghwI'
> discuss:
>
> << > {QaQ yaSvaD vInobpu'bogh paq} - "The book I have given to the officer is
> good."
>  > > I can see no problem here.
>  > >>

> I love the sentence above.  It is perfectly understandable to me and appears
> to be the best grammatical way to express the idea.

Sure? I don't think so. This sentence is plain wrong. Yet, if you like the
corrected version {QaQ yaSvaD paq vInobpu'bogh}, qay'be'...

> Persons who have a problem with this sentence are not learning whole sentences
> but are trying to parse out parts of sentences as they encounter them.  To
> properly learn a language, one MUST take in the whole sentence.

charghwI''s point was that sentences with difficult grammatical constructions get
hard to understand when you _hear_ them. In my opinion this is true.

> peHruS

HovqIj

Back to archive top level