tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 08 17:19:14 1998

RE: KLBC: Q on {-meH}

> > Since {qaSuchmeH} has a subject and an object, it is not an
> > infinitive. The definition of infinitive involves dealing with
> > a verb without dealing with a subject or object. The most
>
> I like this much better than what Holtej wrote about infinite
> verb forms...)

}}:P

I had hoped to find a better term for verbs that don't have subjects and
objects.  I can describe the syntax from the perspective of the syntactic
theory which I've studied, but it's probably not helpful, and rather
complicated.  It's not a useful enough exercise to justify everyone's
effort.  Meanwhile, "infinitive" has to do with a verb's lack of conjugation
with respect to tense.  It really does!

I'm now on a quest for the proper grammatical term.... ;)

--Holtej

Back to archive top level