tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 07 20:07:30 1998

RE: KLBC: House naming things

Edy wrote:

>Greetings!!

>I'm naming some things of my house, but there are lot of doubts.
>Please, check them:

lu'

>refrigerator - bIrmoHwI'
Maybe. It could really be anything that cools, such as an air conditioning
system. <Soj bIrmoHwI'> is probably specific enough.

>freezer - taDmoHwI'
maj. <Soj taDmoHwI'> might be better.

>oven - tujmoHwI'
Well, sort of. <tujmoHwI'> could really be anything which heats, so it could
also apply to your central heating system, stove, or blowtorch. We also know
that heat is not that important in Klingon cooking, so perhaps there is no
spcific word for what we call an oven. Something involving <vutmeH> would be
better to describe your oven.

>microwave - yu'eghHom
Well, no. "Microwave" refers to a specific band of electromagnetic radiation
that happens to cook food well, and it is quite unlikely that Klingon uses
the same term for this radiation. What you are really describing is a
microwave oven, which is a radiation emitter used for cooking......

>kitchen range - vutmeH mIqta'
<vutmeH mIqta'> is a very general term. It could refer to anything used in
food preparation. Try something more specific.

>Dish washer - ngop Say'moHwI'
maj.

>waste-pipe - nIjwI'
This seems more like a leaky faucet. Try something with <veQ>.

>faucets - bIQ raQwI'
I don't understand this use of <raQ>. The only definition I know of is "camp
(military term)". By faucet do you mean the opening the water comes out of
or the whole assembly which controls the flow? Think about it and see what
you can come up with.

>music stand - QoQ QamwI'
I see what you are trying, but it doesn't work. First of all, nothing is
really "standing". What the music stand really does is hold the music.
Second, music probably cannot be held, but a music manuscript certainly can.
See what you can do with this.

>pipe - bIQ qengwI'
Not very descriptive, but maybe. Try for something more descriptive.

>Door handle - lojmIt raQwI'
We got a word for handle in KGT: <ret'aq>. So this turns into <lojmIt
ret'aq>

>bookcase - paq QamwI'
<paq ngaSwI'> or maybe <paq 'uchwI'>

>wardrobe - SutDaq
Regardless of whether we can really make compound nouns out of other nouns,
most Klingon speakers would  strongly tend to see the <Daq> as the suffix
<-Daq>, making your word into "in the clothes" or something similar. Try
something along the lines of "clothes container"...

>Hand basin - ghop Say'Daq
We really don't have a word for "basin", so this is a hard one. Also, your
use of <Say'> here doesn't work; it is only a verb. <ghop Say'meH Daq> does
describe a location where hands become clean. Not very descriptive, though.
See what else  you can come up with.

>closet bowl - quS'a' (slang) :-)
I think you probably mean <puch>. Speculation on slang terms could be
interesting, but as yet we have no official ones.

pagh
temporary Beginners' Gramarrian

Back to archive top level