tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 05 07:43:54 1998

Re: juvmeH mu' (getting off topic).

: >Just to ask, what are the Klingon measurements, and where can I find their
: >reference?  I remember the 'uj and the kellicam, but what else is there?
: >
: >tu'wI'
:
: Most of these came from KGT.  I believe 'ab and cheb came from MO via the
: startrek.expertforum news group

Right you are.

: 'uj       about 35 cm

{'uj} first appeared in SkyBox S32.  Cf. infra.

: qelI'qam  about 2 kilometers

kellicam, a unit of measurement roughly equal to 2 km. (ST Encyclopedia) The
attack (firing) range for Kruge's B'rel-class BoP is approximately 1500
kellicams. (ST3)

vaghvatlh qelI'qam
[Five hundred kellicams.] ST3 (unsubtitled)

chorghSaD qelI'qam HIv chuq'e' vInoH
Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams. ST5

: tlho'ren  about quart/liter

"The only unit of volume I'm aware of is {tlho'ren}. I'm not exactly sure
how much one {tlho'ren} is, but it seems to be in the quart/liter range."
(EF 10/97)

: cheb      about 2.25 kilograms

"A common unit of weight is {cheb}, which is around five pounds (2.25 kg or
so)." (EF 10/97)

: juv      measure v;  naQjej vIjuv - I measure the spear.

"refers to the action of somebody who is taking a measurement" (MO, EF 10/97)

: 'aD      length v; in contrast to width
: 'ab      length, height v;  long, skinny things, or height of person.
: juch     width v

"There are two words used for length: {'aD} and {'ab}. Both of these can be
translated as 'have a length of', but they are used somewhat differently.
{'aD} is used in contrast with {juch} 'have a width of' in measuring, say, a
table top. {'ab}, on the other hand, is used for (potentially) longish,
skinnyish things (for example, spears) and also for heights." (MO on EF 10/97)

wej 'ujmey 'ab 'oy'naQ
Painstiks are a little over one meter long  (S32)

jav 'ujmey 'ab SuvwI'
the warrior has a length of six ujs
"This might sound a little more natural as `the warrior stands six ujs' or
`the warrior is six ujs tall.' (Or should it be `ujes' in the translation?"
(EF 10/97)

vagh 'ujmey vI'ab
I have a length of five ujs, I'm five ujs tall. (EF)

wej 'uj 'ab naQjej
the spear has a length of three uj
(the spear measures three uj; the spear is three uj long) (EF)

: Saw'     depth v

"have a depth of" KGT

: muq      volume v

"have a volume of" KGT