tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 04 07:02:56 1998

Re: juvmeH mu' (getting off topic).

According to Andeen, Eric:

> jIHvaD jang charghwI':
>
> >> SImmeH ghaytan HochvaD lI' De'vam:
> >>
> >> 1.0 'uj ^3 ~= 42.9 tlho'ren.
>
> >qar'a'? A cubic 'uj would be slightly larger than a cubic
> >foot, which seems like a lot less than 42.9 tlho'ren, given
> >that a tho'ren is somewhere near a quart/liter in size. I
> >could believe 4.29, but 42.9?
>
> 1 'uj is approximately 35 centimeters, so a cubic 'uj is 35 ^ 3 = 42875
> cubic centimeters. A cubic centimeter is the same as a mililiter, so a
> cubic 'uj is 42875 ml = 42.875 litres. It doesn't seem like it, but
> volumetric measurements get out of hand quickly because of the cubic
> exponent. For reference, a cubic foot is 28.3 quarts, or just over seven
> gallons.

vaj bIQvaD 1.0 'uj ^3 = 42.875 tlho'ren = 35.672 cheb

'ugh.

Of course, since one tlho'ren is described as approximately one
quart or one liter. Since a liter is 1.04 quarts, there's a 4%
inaccuracy in the definition. How vague... My calculation above
is based upon a tlho'ren being a quart, while your calculation
assumes it is a liter. I guess that means that if I had used
liters, it would be 34.3 cheb. 'ujtaH.

> Think about it this way: imagine a box slightly larger than a foot on
> each side. Put a gallon milk container (less than a foot on all sides)
> into it. There should be lots of space left over. Now pour that gallon
> into the box. How much does it fill? You should be able to empty ten
> milk containers and still have a little bit of room left.

I do believe it, though it does seem counter-intuitive, since a
gallon milk jug doesn't look all THAT much smaller than a
square foot.

> pagh

HoSghajqu'ba' mI'mey.

charghwI'