tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 27 23:06:17 1998

Re: KLBC - Qu'vatlh! qep'a'Daq jIjaH vIneH!

jatlh tu'vel pach puqloD
> ja' Qov
> > tlhoS 'ach qagh DaHevbe'.
>
> "Almost, but you don't receive qagh"  Almost, but no cigar?!jIHagh,
> "mua-ha-ha-ha"

qIDwIj Dayaj.  rut jIDogh.

> DarSeq 'ar Daghaj?  "How many darseks do you have?"
> qevaS 'ar DachIl?  "How many kevas did you lose?"
> mu'tlhegh 'ar vIqonnIS?  "How many sentences do I need to write?"

maj.  DaH ghaytan Daqaw.

> > > jIHegh 'e' vItaH.
> >
> > /taH/ doesn't take an object.  If you want to say "I go on dying"
> > simply say /jIHeghtaH/ or /jIHeghlI'/. (At this point I suspect you
> > mean /Hagh/ not /Hegh/ but that's between you and your dictionary).
> >

> Yes, I meant /Hagh/ "laugh" not /Hegh/ "die."  This brings up a good
> question.

It's a number of rather classic questions.

> Why can't /taH/ take an object?

/taH/ is known to mean "continue, go on, endure."  The canonical
example is /taH pagh taHbe'/ from the dinner scene in STIV.  Its
subject is the thing that continues.

> /jIHagh 'e' vItaH/ "I laugh, I
> continue it."

This would be /vItaHmoH/ - I cause it to continue, I continue it.

> I agree that /jIHaghtaH/ is better, but is the other
> wrong?

We can't be certain it's wrong, stranger things have happened in
Klingon and other languages, but it would be irregular.  In general in
Klingon the verb for doing something yourself (e.g. /vem/ = wake) is
different from the verb for causing it in someone/thing else (e.g.
/vemmoH/= wake [someone]).

> How do we know for sure which verbs don't take objects, or must
> take an object?

We know for sure from canon.  There are some verbs that are both
transitive and intransitive, /mev/ and /tagh/ come to mind.  For a
while we didn't know whether /ghor/ was what the object that broke
did, or what the subject that broke it did.  Then we got, /pIpyuS pach
DaSop DaneHchugh pIpyuS puS DaghornIS/  Not */DaghornISmoH/.  We don't
really know what the object of many Klingon verbs should be, and there
are many threads on the issue.  Usually when a word can be
misinterpreted synonyms are given to indicate which English meaning a
Klingon word translates.  People who don't see why this is significant
should read the FAQ section on transitivity.

> Didn't I see someone say something like /qajatlh/
> recently?  "I speak you," doesn't make sense, so is this a verb that
> shouldn't take an object?

The object of /jatlh/ can be the addressee or the thing (SoQ, Hol,
mu'mey ...) spoken.  The object of /ja'/ seems to be exclusively the
addressee.  There's a lovely post on this I could show you, but I'm
much too lazy today to look for it.

Bug me about it when I seem more lively, if I haven't yet succeeded in
bending you to my will.  I'm simply tired.  I'll poke at your story
and go to bed:

> mIychuqtaH
Not sure that you can 'brag each other'.  Might work, might not.

> maSaq."  yay'ba' romuluSngan tera'ngan je 'ach taH verengan,
> "machavlaHbe'
wIchavlaHbe' from your translation.

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian