tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 14 20:43:09 1998

Re: QoghIj qaD

From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>

>It will take some more explanation than the near-hearsay of Okrand's
>statement that a "question" (not my quotes, but I'm not sure if they
>are Okrand's either) cannot be used as an object before I will state
>that {nuqDaq maba' DaneH?} is ungrammatical.

In fact, I might be tempted to accept {nuqDaq maba' DaneH} where I might not
accept {nuq Daje' DaneH}.

nuq Daje' DaneH
What do you eat? you want [that].

In {neH} sentences, as in all other Sentence As Object sentences, the first
sentence is the object of the second sentence.  {DaneH} is the second
sentence.  {nuq Daje'} is the first sentence.  {neH} is special because it
doesn't use {'e'}.

Although charghwI' is convinced that {neH} is some sort of half-mutated verb
suffix-to-be, I also see the possibility of another interpretation, which I
have presentented before.  Instead of using a pronoun to stand in for the
first sentence, {neH} may actually use the first sentence itself in the
object position.

This means that {nuq Daje' DaneH} is just any "question as object," whatever
legality that may hold.

However, {nuqDaq maba' DaneH} *could* be interpreted in this manner (not
that it must be, but it might be):

The "first" sentence is {maba'} "we sit."  The "second" sentence is {nuqDaq
DaneH} "Where do you want it?"  The "first" sentence is then used as the
object of {neH}, to get {nuqDaq maba' DaneH} "Where do you want that we
sit?"

Granted, this is asking where the *wanting* is to be performed, not where
the sitting is to be performed.  But as charghwI' has often done in the
past, applying an adverbial concept like {nuqDaq} to the "wanting" might be
seen as modifying the object sentence (I recall a conversation about {reH
DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH}).

No, I'm not saying anyone should accept this analysis without further proof.
I'm not even saying that *I* accept this analysis.  I'm just speculating,
and providing the usual disclaimers to prevent people from accusing me of
having said this or that further down the line.

For the record, I see {nuq Daje' DaneH} as a likely possibility, but it does
not conform with the grammar as I have come to understand it, nor is there
any evidence to show that this sort of thing is allowed.  I shall recast to
something that is known to be correct until something better comes along, or
until my suspicions are confirmed (and then I'll keep recasting).

SuStel
Stardate 98534.6

Back to archive top level