tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 14 11:43:53 1998

Re: KLBC - pabwIj vIlughmoH 'ej mu'tlheghmey chu' vIqon

> lojmIt yIngaQmoH!  "Lock the door!"

maj. /ngaQ/ "be locked" so "ngaQmoH" "make locked"

> chImDI' HIvje'wIj SIbI' DanaQnISmoH.  "When my > cup is empty you
need to
> fill it immediately."

naQ means "be whole" "be entire" /naQmoH/ would be "make whole."  Look
up the verbs /teb/ and /buy'/.

> HuD yIrammoHQo'. jenqu'.  "Don't trivialize the > mountain. It is
very high."

majQa'.

> bIyepHa'chugh 'etlhlIj DajejHa'moHbej.  "If you are careless you will
> certainly dull your blade."

maj. You've definitely responded to my challenge to write creative
sentences.  Keep up the hard work.

> pepIl'eghmoH 'ach pepIlchuHmoH!  "Motivate yourselves and motivate
each
> other!"

You've caught me out on a new vocabulary word I'm uncertain of.  Is
/pIl/ "inspire" or "be inspired"?

I thought it was the former, but your sentence is almost correct for
the latter. The reflexive suffix you want is /-chuq/ not /-chuH/.
(Which tells me you've (almost) memorized the suffixes. majQa'.)  Oh,
and "and" is /'ej/ or /qoj/, not /'ach/.  That's "but".

> > Now for /-bogh/, try
> > "I dislike the tribble that you are stroking."
> > "The tribble I am stroking saved my father."
> > "How can a grain-stealing tribble save anyone?"
> > "Don't insult the animal I admire."
> >
> yIH DayachtaHbogh vIpar.
maj.
> vavwI' toDpu' yIH vIyachtaHbogh.
Don't use /-pu'/ just "saved" simple past tense, no perfective.

> chay' vay' toDlaH tIr nIHtaHbogh yIH?

majQa'.  You saw how to use /-bogh/ to translate quite a different
construction.

> Ha'DIbaH vIHo'bogh yItIch.

Oops.  You meant /yItIchQo'/, right?

> > And make up one or two more of your own.
> >
> 'up Ha'DIbaH DaHo'bejbogh.  "The animal you so admire is repulsive."

"so admire" indicates degree of admiration, not your certainty about
it.  Use /-qu'/ to intensify. /yIH DaHo'qu'bogh/.

> muparHa'bogh vIparHa'.  "I like people who like me."

You've leapt into a bit of a controversy (or just accidentally left a
word out, or you're testing your limits).  Save me some typing and
read the part of the FAQ on "headless relative clauses."  In essence,
you [probably] need a noun or a pronoun in every relative clause.

muparHa'bogh nuvpu' vIparHa'.

> > Why do my sentences *always* seem to involve tribbles?
> >
> Sovbe' pagh.

Sovbe'law' pagh, 'ach DaSov'a'?
==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian