tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 09 13:54:06 1998

RE: KLBC - DaH mughqa' tuv'el 'e' nIDlaw'

lab tuv'el:

> KLBC - DaH mughqa' tuv'el 'e' nIDlaw'
Why do use <-law'>? There is no doubt that you are trying, and <-law'>
expresses uncertainty. Also, I don't see any translation going on in this
message. You've written some original Klingon sentences.

> mu'tlheghmey nap vIqonnIS 'e' vIHar.  jIqeqqa' 'ej jIqeqtaH, qar'a'?

> 6.1. Basic sentences
> chatlh vI'ep.
maj.

> DIron Soppu' vIghro'
chay'? ghaytan DIron tIn law' vIghro' tIn puS :-)

> SopwI'pu' tlhaSchuq jabwI'.
You don't need the <-chuq> here. The <-chuq> indicates that the subjects
(jabwI'pu') are fighting each other, and that the verb cannot take an
object. <tlhaS> is included in the spectrum of battle verbs on KGT p. 47.

> qabHeylI' rur Sargh Dub.
I'm not quite sure why you're using <-Hey> here, and the <-lI'> should be
<-lIj>. Body parts of beings who can use language don't count as beings
themselves. And if you're trying to say "horse's rear end", this may not
work too well. First off, <Dub> is "back of body", so it would most likely
refer to the part of the <Sargh> you sit on while riding. Second, it's hard
to tell whether a Klingon would consider this an insult, a compliment, or
just a really weird thing to say.

> tlhIngan Hol ghojnIS vavwI' loDnI' puqloD.
You want your cousin to learn Klingon? ghojqang'a'?

> pIWna'lI'mo' SoH nIDoH Ha'DIbaHmey
In your first word, you have a typo, and the possessive suffix needs to be
<-lIj>. The rest is good. Nice of the <nI-> prefix, which does not get used
much.

> 6.2.1. Compound sentences
> SuQongtaH qoj SunajtaH
maj. I don't know if it's possible to dream without sleeping, though.

> moHba' pInqoqwI' 'ej QIpqu' ghaH
Daparba'. chaq Qu' chu' DanejnIS.

> Qongchu' 'avwI' pagh Heghta'
I doubt he intentionally died, so you need to use <-pu'> instead of <-ta'>.

> SosnI'ma' DaSuchnISneS 'ach QongDaqDajDaq Qonglaw'lI'
Typo: <SoSnI'ma'>.

> chejDu' vIparHa' 'ach vIpar boqrat chejDu' luQevlu'pu'bogh
Sentence order: the ojbect <boqrat chejDu' luQevlu'pu'bogh> has to go before
the verb <vIpar> in the second part.

pagh
Temporary Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level