tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 08 17:47:52 1998

RE: KLBC: Active Desktops

lab Chris Lipscombe:

> nuqneH
qagh vISop vIneH :-) Klingons don't use greetings for politeness like most
humans do. You're best off just getting right into it.

> pIj naDev jIjatlhbe' 'ach pIj naDev jIjatlhlaH 'e' vItul
bIjeSchoH 'e' vItul je.

> tlhIngan pabwIj qab 'ej mu'tay'wIj mach
Remember your sentence order: object verb subject. In these sentences, <qab>
and <mach> are acting as regular verbs and not like English adjectives, so
this needs to be:
<qab tlhIngan pabwIj 'ej mach mu'tay'wIj>

>'ach Dochmeyvetlh vIDub vIneH
>
> tlhIngan 'Active Desktop' vIchenmoH 'e' vInIDtaH
Type seven suffixes are not allowed on a verb whose object is <'e'>. A lot
of people don't like this rule, but it is a rule. The second verb takes on
the aspect of the first. Also, if think you will finish this task, and not
work on it indefinitely, consider <-lI'> instead of <-taH>.
<tlhIngan 'Active Desktop' vIchenmoHlI' 'e' vInID>

>'ach jIQaHnIS.
You just said "but I need to help". I think you want someone to help you,
which is <vIQaHnISlu'>. Read TKD section 4.2.5 to find out more about the
suffix <-lu'>. You could also consider something like <boQ vIpoQ>.

> tlhIngan Hol mu'mey law' vISovbe' 'ej qechmey vIghajbe'
Consider <Hutlh> instead of <ghajbe'>. <ghajbe'> works, but trying to expand
your vocabulary is always good.

> vIchelbogh Dochmey DachuplaH'a' ?
Sentence order again, this time in the <-bogh> clause. Also, since you are
probably addressing the whole list, you need the plural prefix <bo-> instead
of the singular <Da->:
<Dochmey vIchelbogh bochuplaH'a'>

> Qapla'
>
> Translation: (I hope)
>
> I do not talk here often but I hope I can talk here often.
> My Klingon grammar is bad and my vocabulary is small but I
> want to improve those things.
>
> I am trying to build a Klingon Active Desktop but I need help.
> I don't know many Klingon words and I don't have any ideas.
> Can you suggest some things which I can add?
>
> Success.
>
> What I was trying to ask was, does anyone have any ideas of
> thinks I could put on a Windows Active Desktop. I saw an
> LCARS one, and I am trying to build one in tlhIngan Hol. I
> have a basic display with three buttons, ( one links to mu'
> HaqwI', on to webcrawler and one to my computer) which
> displays the pages in a central frame. If anyone has any
> ideas I would be very grateful to here them.
>
> This also gave me a chance to practice my tlhIngan Hol.

pagh vIchup. SajwIj 'angtaH HaStawIj.

pagh
Temporary Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level