tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 13:19:33 1998

Re: Unofficial words (Was: Re puqpu')

In a message dated 98-01-05 16:42:32 EST, Qov writes:

<<
 {Duj} - vessel: sometimes used to mean vehicle, car, truck, minivan
 {jabbI'IDghom} - transmission group:
 newsgroup, listserver, especially this one
 {Degh} - medal, emblem, insignia: I've seen this used this is used to
 mean variously, letter (of the alphabet), icon (on a GUI), lapel pin.
 logo ...
 {yaH} - duty station: place of work
 {pIn} - chief: employer
 {chovnatlh} - specimen: example
 {nav} - paper: page
 {juHDaq} - home location: homepage, website
 {Quv} - coordinates: address
 {jabbI'ID} - transmission: e-mail
 {targh/yIH} - targ/tribble: dog/cat  (ok, now I'm stretching it)

------------------------------------peHruS
writes---------------------------------------------

I have used {Degh} for "sign", but not for "letter of an alphabet".  For that,
I have used {chovnatlh}, and if necessary {pIqaD chovnatlh}.

For "cat" I use {vIghro'}.  It, too, may be a pun from Bugs Bunny's cat
singing "Figaro" with the cat's uvula undulating.

I add (not found in canon but made from canon words):
beqghom = team (beq = team member)
naghQeD = geology
mI'QeD = mathematics
HolQeD = linguistics
SorQeD = horticulture
tIQeD = botany
Soy'wI' = bumbler
SeH = restrict, restrain, constrain
pIch ghajmoH = frame [someone]
SaqHa' = crash, crashland
chalDep = bird, avian
wutlhDep = mole (???)
Ho' tIq = fang
mIp Dotlh = financial status
meb tetlh = guest list
roj poH = peacetime
SapmoH = nominate, volunteer [someone]
QIH Dotlh yIja' = Damage report!
tIQwI'mey = antiques
SaH = be dovted to
qImwI' poH = attention span
pa' veH = wall
yotlh veH = fence, property line
naH yotlh = orchard, vegetable patch, garden
vorSagh = feces (source is canon, English translation is speculation)
ghojmeH pa' = classroom
wuvlu' = supports (v)
ta' quS = throne
Huchqach = bank
lojmoH = depletes
yoymoH = turn over
yay'moH = shock (v)
juvwI' = meter
'aDtay' = circulatory system
pavmoH = prioritize
mutHom = subspecies
rIghmoH = maime
'ovwI' = competitor, player
paqqach = library (building)
paqpa' = den, study, library (room in a house)
paq pat = library (computer system)
chIpwI' = barber
Sannger = fatalism (example of using {nger} for "-ism")
bIQ Qay'wI' = aquaduct, canal, pipe
bIQHal = wellspring, fountain
yoDSut = armor
rurwI' = picture, image
chIrghHom = temple, sanctuary (Hamlet)
veH = wall, partition, boundary;             veHHom = fence (???)
'elmoH = inserts
nujbIQ = spittle, saliva (from listserv posts)
HuDHom = hill
lut 'ay' = chapter
ghottlhegh = queue, people in line
qunQeD = history
wIchQeD = mythology
lanDanQeD = theology
tayQeD = anthropology
molyoS = graveyard
pab = follow a procedure, an example
mInQeD = ophthalmology
tlhIlQeD = minerology
tIqQeD = cardiology
porghQeD = anatomy
DIrQeD = dermatology
QaoQQeD = musicology
Hov pat = star system
Hov tlhoQ = star cluster
tay'moH = assemble, bring together
'oS = means, translates as, indicates
luchyaH = baggage claim area

Meanwhile, I put onto my wish list, allowing you folks to submit ideas you can
construct from pre-existing canon words:

gills (n)
fins (n)
be curved (sv)
be straight (sv)
reflect (v)
vibrate (v)
pressure (n/v)
wind up (v)
wind around (v)
saw for cutting (n), saws (v)
corner (n)
sew (v); stitch (v); seam together (v)
current (n)
pocket, pigeonhole, niche
be slippery
bead, droplet
interval
flame
branch, twig, tributary
ashes
sperm
comb (n/v)
dip into
towel, napkin
chip, shard
twist, wring
arrange, arrangement (v/n)
roll (v)
bounce (v)
hook (n/v)
reach for (I claim {SIch} means "reach to")
be narrow
be wide
knob, dial, button
haze, mist (SeS ???)
cast, mould (v)
fasten (v)
halo, corona
plough (v/n)
brew (v)
degree (n)
stain, mar, spot (v/n)
axis, spindle (n)
axle (n)
summit (n); foot of mountain/cliff (n)
chain (n)
cement, mortar, caulk (n)
be beyond
needle (n)
scab (n)
scar (n)
seed (n)
traverse, cross over (v)
plasma (n)
surface of anything other than a planet (n)
weave, spin (v)
include (v)
be aslant (sv)
tip, point, end (n)
brush (v)
slide, glide (v)
root (n)
map (n)
overhang (v)
adhere (v)
scratch (v)
bridge, span (n)
ridges (anat)
exceed (v)
copy, transcribe (v)
pulse (n)
nucleus (n)
dig, excavate, uncover (v)
lining (n)
molecule (n)
beam, rafter (n);  tractor beam
stem (n)
frame, outline (n)
stalk (n)
curtain, membrane (n)
evidence, signs, traces, vestiges (n)
grandson, granddaughter (n)
feather (n)
be tame, be wild (sv)
deflect (v)

Although I have seen many parts of words having possible meanings, we at KLI
have agreed not to extract parts and use them.  If/when Marc Okrand tells us
that a word part means something, only then do we use it.  For example, I
think that {roH} means "sign, trace, vestige, evidence"; but, I cannot use it
because of the rule stated above.

Qapla'     Sachjaj tlhIngan Hol mu'ghommaj     peHruS

Back to archive top level