tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 17:43:16 1998

Re: KLBC: Trying to translate qIDHom

>Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 19:41:30 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Neal Schermerhorn" <[email protected]>
>
>I have at least demonstrated that explaining a joke kills it, no matter what
>language is used. But don't ask me to explain the one about the bugs. I
>don't get that one - yet. BTW, can someone provide the canon for that joke
>from Power Klingon?

Not necessarily.  Humor is a strange, ephemeral thing.  In some
languages/cultures, a joke isn't complete until you've explained why it's
funny.  Really.  We call that "killing a good joke" in English... but
that's in English.

~mark

Back to archive top level