tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 26 12:26:26 1998

Re: 'ul

From: TPO <[email protected]>

>>> Hoch mu'tay'mey  all of the vocabs
>>> Hoch mu'tay'     each vocab
>>> mu'tay' Hoch     all of the vocab      ([naQ] rur)
>>
>>Nope. You made this up. Nothing in canon says this is cool.
>>
>>charghwI'
>
>I didn't make it up.  It was put on the list a few months ago.  An
>observation from a previous BG I believe.

This looks a lot like my speculative posts on the nature of {Hoch} and
similar nouns.  What DloraH has done here matches the logic, but the
particular circumstance here is weird.  Talking about "each vocabulary" is a
bit strange, though I suppose I could imagine a context where it makes
sense.

My reasoning, which DOES follow canonical examples, yields the following:

Hoch tlhIngan
Every Klingon

Hoch tlhInganpu'
All Klingons

tlhIngan Hoch
All of the Klingon  (Compare {tlhIngan naQ}, which some people use, and
which should be identical in meaning to {naQbogh tlhIngan} "The Klingon who
is whole."  This is not the same meaning as {tlhIngan Hoch}.)

??tlhInganpu' Hoch??
??All of the group of Klingons??  (No evidence for this one, but it might
follow from the previous examples.)

The same would go for {'op} and {HochHom}, and possibly for {bID}.  If you
wish I will try to find that post in the archives and repost it.

SuStel
Stardate 98156.5

Back to archive top level