tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 15 10:01:03 1998

Re: leng SajwIj

From: Andeen, Eric <[email protected]>
>SKI: pagh's pet CAN speak, at least a little bit. One specimen of the
>species can certainly speak and understand English. I've written about
>this before, and won't go into a rant on it again.

Not to try to make you rant again, but I have problems with this
interpretation.

I don't believe the "beings capable of using language" refers to a physical
capacity.  If the noun in question can be thought of as a PERSON, of
whatever species, then the noun may be referred to with {ghaH} or {-wI'},
etc.  The choice of {'oH} or {ghaH} is not an evaluation by the speaker of
the noun's capacity for language, it is much more general, applied to
particular nouns regularly.  Only in the most extreme cases will a Klingon
intentionally go against the norm.  A particularly verobse parrot is not
extreme enough.

Suppose a Klingon were talking about a Horta.  Would he use {'oH} simply
because the Horta does not (apparently) speak?  (Spock also communicated
with a humpback whale telepathically, which to me certainly falls into the
{'oH} category.  A Horta is very likely much more intelligent than a whale.
Telepathic communication does not prove {ghaH}ness.)

Parrots are {'oH} whether they speak or not.  Whales are {'oH} by any
typical evaluation of their intelligence and society.  Hortas are {ghaH}.
Mute humans are {ghaH}.  Artificial life-forms which mimic humanoid form are
{ghaH}.  Computers and speaking robots are {'oH}.

Here's an extreme case: The Doctor's companion K-9 was an intelligent robot
in the shape of a dog, and it could speak.  It would be difficult for a
Klingon to classify such an entity.  I would go with {ghaH}.  Artificial
life-forms would probably be judged on their capacity for using language
much more specifically than anything else.  If K-9 were unable to
communicate with language, he would be {'oH}.  Similarly, R2-D2 is {ghaH},
though he does not resemble humanoid form.

And before anyone jumps up and down crying sacrilege and assult, these are
my opinions only.

SuStel
Stardate 98126.3

Back to archive top level