tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 13 03:04:20 1998

Comparatives and Superlatives

    Greetings!

    Unfortunatly I don't know enough english grammar to comprehend
all points I want to talk but I hope you can (with some effort) understand
and help the mistakes. I'm not sure about english, but in portuguese
we have 3 grades of Comparatives and 2 of Superlatives.

                        -{ Inferior: less + "Adjective" + than
Comparatives  -{ Equality:  as + "Adj." + as
                        -{ Superior: more + "Adj" + than

In TKD (p.70) we have only 1 formula to Comparatives:
A Q law' B Q puS:
la' jaq law' yaS jaq puS - The commander is bolder than officer
or "The commander is bold be many, the officer is bold be few".

But if I want to say: "The commander is less bold than the officer". ?
ja' jaq puS yaS jaq law'  ????  Can I exchange the order of terms?

or (in current discution of equality comparatives)  The commander is as bold
as the officer.

The same to superlatives:
                                            {the most + Adj. + of
                         {Superior -  { The best, the worst, biggest, etc.
        - Relative
                         {Inferior  - {the least + Adj. + of
Sup.
        - Absolute -{Analitic{ very + Adj.
                          -{Sintetic { with the latin suffixes

    In Superlative absolute the noun suffix -qu' solve the problems.

How can we use them in klingon?

Edy

Back to archive top level