tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 13 00:35:07 1998

Problem Words

As I work at updating the New Words List, I have these quandries
that call for judgement calls. I'd appreciate your opinions so I
can read them, consider them and then largely ignore them as I
make my arbitrary decision. {{:)>

Hong boq chuyDaH: loS
Impulse Fusion Thrusters - 4

We already have {boq} and its definition does not include
"fusion". So, does this word also mean "fusion", or is it just
the middle word one uses when one refers to Impulse Fusion
Thrusters? I mean, why did we pick the word "fusion" in English?
It was arbitrary. But would a Klingon always use the word {boq}
where we'd use the word "fusion"?

Also, is the word {chuyDaH} an implied plural? If so, what
happens when we count four of them? Could it then take a plural
suffix? Should it then be treated as grammatically plural?
According to TKD, pages 23-24, the answer is "no". It is
explicitly stated that {chuyDaH} is treated as singular even
though it refers to multiple {vIj}. So, what happens when you
say {loS chuyDaH}? loS chuyDaH wItoghchugh... It looks pretty
weird where I'm sitting. I want to see {loS X DItoghchugh...}. I
guess I need to adjust my reflexes to suit the rules.

muDDaq 'eDSeHcha lulaQlu'bogh: jav
Atmosperic Take-Off/Landing Thrusters - 6

Note that this is NOT a plural form (as I noted earlier) because
of the {lu-}. If it were like {chuyDaH}, there would be no {lu-}.

pIvchem lIngwI' DaHmey: cha'
Warp Field Generation Arrays - 2

Note that this is a rare example of a term of this type with
which he used an explicit plural suffix. Perhaps it is just to
mark it as definitely a different word than the {DaH} adverbial?

tal = cannon

I wonder if bIreqtal involves firing a cold cannon early in the
morning...

37. telDaq wovmoHwI'mey
    Wing Lights

The Cat In The Hat returns. Note the locative with no verb,
unless you think you can nominalize a whole CLAUSE with {wI'}. I
don't think so. That, or he spaced out and forgot the {lujomlu'}
which he used earlier for the disruptor cannons.

And I wonder what a researcher says when she discovers something
really interesting...

pIlth

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level