tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 30 11:33:29 1998

RE: KLBC: paghvaD pab qab vInob

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Sarah Andeen wrote:

>lab tuv'el:
>>> 'e' vInab.
>>TRANS: I plan to? Can /'e'/ be used for that if the context is clear?
>
>Well, we know that <'e'> refers to the previous sentence, and we don't know
>that it has to be the speaker's previous sentence and not somebody else's. I
>don't believe we have seen this usage in canon, though.

Yes we have - in ST6:

Kerla:    QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS!  [sic]
Azetbur:  'e' neHbe' vavwI'.
Chang:    Your father was killed for what he wanted.

--
Voragh                          "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons    lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level