tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 29 23:43:31 1998

KLBC - jImugh 'e' jInIDlI' 'a Qatlh

lab tuv'el:

>KLBC - jImugh 'e' jInIDlI' 'a Qatlh

Qatlh mu'meywIj rut vIneH. Qatlhchugh vaj yajmeH taghwI'pu', QubnIS chaH.

>ja' Qov:
>> > pagh
>> > Beginners' Grammarian
>> Hee hee. qaStaHvIS wa' DIS, mu'meyvetlh DungDaq pongwIj'e' neH
>> vIleghtaH. pa' latlh pong vIleghDI' jIyev.
>TRANS: During the year, I saw those words above on my name only.
>I paused as soon as I saw the additional name there.

maj.

>ja' pagh:
>> jIyev je jIH jay'! 'ej jabbI'IDlIjDaq Dachmo' loQ jIbIt. rIntaHmo'
>> Dajoy'lu'meH poH nI', HujchoHlaw' 'u'maj. tugh choH'e' wIlajchu' 'e'
>> vIpIH.
>TRANS: I damn well paused also! And because it was absent on your
>transmission I was a little uneasy. Because it was done for you were
>tortured a long time, our universe became strange. I expect we will
>soon accept the change completely.

Close. The only thing you didn't quite get was a tough sentence: <rIntaHmo'
Dajoy'lu'meH poH nI', …> This is one of the more non-English-like
constructions in Klingon, at least to my mind. Let's see what we can do with
this. We'll ignore the <-mo'> here because the subordinate clause really is
its own little sentence. The verb is <rIn>, which you got: Because it is
over… The subject is what you missed: <poH>, the time period. <poH> is
modified by both <nI'> as an "adjectival" verb and by the <-meH> clause
<Dajoy'lu'meH>. <Dajoy'lu'meH poH nI'> means "the long period of your
torture". So the full clause reads "Because the long period of your torture
is over, …" Also note the <-taH> in there for emphasis.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level