tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 28 20:46:08 1998

KLBC - Qov, cholughrupqa'moHchu'neS'a'?

KLBC - Qov, cholughrupqa'moHchu'neS'a'?

ja' pagh:
> I don't mind at all. More ammunition for the firing squad.....

I'd like Qov to take first shot, because she wrote the sentences in the
first place, so she knows what she was originally trying to convey.

pagh Qov je Sathlo'

> chojoy' 'e' DatIv'a', Qovoy?
TRANS: Do you enjoy torturing me, Qovoy?

> Good luck, tuv'el.

I have a nasty feeling I'm going to dig myself into a hole here, so
throw me a rope if I dig too deep.  I'll probably end up turning sick
sentences into malignant putrescences, but here goes!

ja' Qov:
> Your assignment, tuv'el, is to explain what is wrong with
> the sentences, and fix them, if they can be saved.  Your choice
> whether to send your analysis for pagh's attention or mine.

> THESE SENTENCES ALL HAVE ERRORS.

> tlhIngan Hol lujatlh ghotpu' 'e' vInejtaH.
> I looked (on an ongoing basis) for people who spoke Klingon.

/who spoke Klingon/ is a relative clause and deserves the /-bogh/
treatment.
ghotpu' vInejtaH.  "I searched for people."
tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh ghotpu' vInejtaH.
"I searched for people who spoke Klingon."

> Hol qab lujatlh ghotpu' 'e' vItu'pu'.
> The people I found spoke bad Klingon.

The people spoke badly, not that the language itself is bad!
Perhaps /jatlhHa'/ "misspeak"
Hol lujatlhHa' ghotpu'.

> tIqbej 'oHmo' loS 'ay' vIlab.
> I'm sending four parts because it's unquestionably long.
Nouns with type 5 suffixes go at the beginning of the OVS structure, so
it's use
here inadvertantly groups /because of it/ with /I am sendinf four parts/
instead
of with /it is certainly long/ where it belongs.  So, put /-mo'/ on the
verb instead.
Suddenly the /'oH/ is no longer needed as it is already implied by the
verb.
Also, /'ay'/ for parts is correct, but *I* like using plural suffixes:
/'ay'mey/.
tIqbejmo' loS 'ay'mey vIlab.

> jIHvaD yuch qatbogh chagh.
> He dropped the wrapped chocolate for me.
(I'm really sticking my neck out on this one, don't chop it off!)
/qat/ is "encase" not "be encased" so I think I have the perfective
solution! How
about /qatta'bogh/?  Oh, and the modifier preceeds the noun it modifies,
yes?
jIHvaD qatta'bogh yuch chagh.

> mochwI' ghogh vIQoy <QuvlIj maghaj. yIjolrup!>
> I heard the voice of my superior. "We have your coordinates.  Stand by

> for beam up!"
/QuvlIj wIghaj/ <- Prefix thingee.  /yIjolrup/ seems to be missing
something.
/yIjolrupchoH/ "become ready to beam up," or maybe as a question
/bIjolrup'a'?/
mochwI' ghogh vIQoy <QuvlIj wIghaj.  yIjolrupchoH!>

> yIHHommeyna'wIjvo' HIchevnISQo'neS jIDub'eghqanqqa'moHlaHbejtaHneSmo'
> Please, you mustn't separate me from my true little tribbles, as I am
> willing and able to once more make myself go on definitely improving,
> your honour.
HIvqa' veqlargh, qar'a'?
The only problem I see is vsuf 2 /qang/ is misspelled as /qanq/.
Klingon dentists like this sentence because saying it will dislodge
any loose teeth one may have.  ;-)
yIHHommeyna'wIjvo' HIchevnISQo'neS jIDub'eghqangqa'moHlaHbejtaHneSmo'

> qaSIgh 'e' jIbel.
> I'm glad that I influenced you.
There's a lonely dangling /'e'/ in this sentence without a home.  He
doesn't
go with /jIbel/, because it has no object.  But, /jIbel/ can't take an
object, so
how about /mo'/ instead?
qaSIghmo' jIbel.

> Maybe your ability to detect the problems in your own sentences will
> improve when you look at someone else's messes.

I don't know about that, but I HAVE gained some insight into how truly
difficult the job of BG really is.  Thanks guys.

- tuv'el, chu'wI' qIDwI' yIvwI' ngotlhwI

Back to archive top level