tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 24 21:52:08 1998

Re: KLBC - Ha'DIbaH pub loDHom

---"Michael H. Clawson (toQ pach puqloD)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ha'DIbaH pub loDHom
> The boy boiled the meat.

I unintentionally gave you what might be a slight unknown.  /pub/
could mean boil, intransitive as in *get* to a certain temperature, or
it could mean it transitively as in 'make boil.'  If the former you'd
have to use /pubmoH/ instead of /pub/.  Don't worry about it for now.
The sentence order is good.

> puq Qorgh SoS
> A mother cares for a child

maj

> verengan qur
> Ferengi are greedy

Oops.  With no object, you accidentally put the subject back in the
object position.  This should be /qur verengan/ or /qur verenganpu'/.

> mep poj tej
> A scientist analyzes plastic

maj.

> Ha'DIbaH vIpub
> I boiled the meat

maj.  Same possibility on /pubmoH/.

> muQorgh
> They cared for me
>
> bIqur
> You are greedy
>
> lIpoj
> He will analyze you

You got those perfectly.

> SajDaj
> His pet
>
> SajDaj
> Her pet
>
> Ho'wIj
> My tooth

pov.

> ghoplI'
> Your hand

One slip up.  Unless the hand is a language-using being (not just a
PART of one) you use /-lIj/.  The suffix /-lI'/ is mostly for people.
/be'nI'wI'/ - my sister.

> yInmeymaj
> Our lives

maj.

> here are my original sentences I hope they are correct.
>
> ghopDaj Sop
> He ate her hand
>
> ghoplIj vISopbe'
> I didn't eat your hand
>
> ghopDu'chaj viSopbe'
> I didn't eat their hands
>
> ghopDaj vISop 'ej 'eyqu'
> I ate his hand and it was very good

majQa'.  Except for one missed shift on /I/.  Looks like you've got
those three concepts, and I see you're using plurals well, too.

Have a look at type-5 noun suffixes, for a challenge. :)

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian
"1999 is the penultimate year of the 20th century."