tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 23 16:19:16 1998

Re: scrabble

ja' Qermaq :

> tuv'el, pach puqloD ghItlh:
>
> >Being a database programmer by trade, I did a little analysis:
> >Ranking of the most common letters in piqad:
> <pe'>
>
> Coincidentally enough, a recent search through the archives turned that up
> from 4 years ago. Visit http://kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/1994/Aug94/0007.html and
> the subsequent posdtings for at least 2 rankings of letter frequency.
> Interesting comparison. tu'vel, how large was your sample? Did you repeat
> words? Or is this what was found in a text?

The word count in my dictionary is 2690.  That includes all canonical sources I
can find (i.e. those on the KLI site), all the affixes, and a very few
extrapolations, like /vebHa'/ "previous."  There are repeats where there are
synonyms or where the same word is both a noun and a verb.  That's 1181 nouns,
969 verbs, 200 proper nouns, 46 idioms, 42 numbers, 40 verb prefixes, 39
similes, 38 verb suffixes, 37 adverbs, 36 exclamations, 26 noun suffixes, 10
pronouns, 9 numeric suffixes, 9 question words, and 8 conjunctions.

I would think that for scrabble, a list of possible single words is preferrable
for analysis over text, because you are trying to form single words, not
sentences.  Then again in Klingon, you would have to include all legal
combinations of affixes.  Hmmm, maybe a selection of text would be better after
all.  >:-)

Just for kicks, I came up with the 10 most common syllables from the same
database:
1- wI', 2- Ha', 3- moH, 4- Hom, 5- 'a', 6- be', 7- cha', 8- DI, 9- Duj, 10-
ngan.

- tuv'el

Back to archive top level