tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 23 09:20:20 1998

Re: KLBC - tlhIngan Hol ghojtaHmeH tuv'el Seyqu'mo' Doy' Qov.

---Burt Clawson <[email protected]> wrote:

> KLBC - tlhIngan Hol ghojtaHmeH tuv'el Seyqu'mo' Doy' Qov.
> "Qov is tired because tuv'el is so excited to be learning Klingon."
teHbe'.  ngoy'nIStaH Qov 'ej vuDmey ghajnIStaH ghaH puQchoH Qov.
bISeyqu'mo' choDoy'Ha'moH.

> HeSwI' wIqoplaHpa' ngebbogh wa'vatlh <qeylIS betleHmey Dun> ngevta'.
> "Before we could arrest him, the criminal had sold one hundred <Great
> Swords of Kahless> which were fake."

maj.  (And good translation, too.)

> 'IHchu' ba'el 'ach Qu'lIj DabuSHa'meH meq ghaHbe'!
> "Ba'el is most definitely beautiful, but she is no reason to ignore
> your duty!"

/-chu'/ is a little different that the other type-6's.  /-law'/ /-ba'/
and /-bej/ talk about the degree of certainty about the action.
/-chu'/ refers to the throughness or perfection of the action.  So I'd
translate /'IHchu'/ as "gorgeous" or "spectacular-looking" and
translate "most definitely beautiful" as /'IHbejqu'/.

> nImbuS wejvo' tera'Daq Qaypu' Sa'.  meq vIyajbe'.
> "The general has been transferred to Earth from Numbus III.  I don't
> understand the reason."

/Qay/ means "transfer" not "be tranferred."  Fix your sentence
accordingly.

> 'Iw HIqlIj puj 'oH chab'e' 'e' DaHar'a'?  jIHagh!
> "You believe your diluted blood-wine is an innovation?  I laugh!"

That's actually reversed from Marc's examples.  He uses OVS order in
pronoun as to be sentences.

> DIj qeyvaq 'ej jatlh, <SutwIj DanIHta'mo' DaSuv!>
> "Kayvak slides his sword blade along his opponent's blade and says, <I
> fight you because you have stolen my clothes!>"

/qaSuv/.

> Dachmo' pagh potlh'e' wuqjaj yejquv.
> "Since no one important is absent, let the High Council decide."

This use of /-jaj/ doesn't agree with what we know about it.  We've
seen it as a general wish that something something happen.  From
context here "let the high council decide" seems to be an imperative.
Who is saying this?  To whom?

Consider:
/wuq yejquv 'e' yIchaw'/
/wuqnIS yejquv/
/mawuq maH/

==
Qov - Beginners' Grammarian
"1999 is the penultimate year of the 20th century."