tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 14 20:39:17 1998

Indirect objects?

    Hey, my card from the qep'a' fell out of my TKD and I was looking at
it sitting here on the desk. I wondered if it's standard procedure to
form the alleged indirect object in a sentence this way: /tuQDoq
mulo'DI'.../, "When they used a mind sifter on me..."  I was looking at
it and I read just the /mulo'DI'/, which says to me, out of context,
"He/She/It/They use me". Uhm. But in context, being that you'd read the
/tuQDoq/ first, it makes sense as the IO. But then I remembered vaguely
someone saying on the list not terribly long ago that Klingon doesn't
use indirect objects in the same sense as English does. Or perhaps I'm
just brain-dead right now. It's entirely possible.
    Also, with regard to this same phrase, I have  a question: What is
the name of the term used to describe the phenomenon by which vowel
pronunciation changes due to the presence of certain consonants before
or after it? When I read /mulo'DI'/ the first time tonight, the /I/ in
/DI'/ warped a bit 'cos of the non-frontal /D/ that's in front of it. I
thought that was morphology, but I looked it up in the dictionary
(*gasp!*) and I'm wrong. So, all you grammarians and phoneticists? out
there, what's up with that? ;)
    That's it .. I am aware of the fact that I'm entirely too silly
tonight and will now stop typing. :)

--
Lt. Cdr. Sarah Barrows, Starfleet
------