tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 14 09:57:05 1998

RE: Text for web page

---"Rose, Thornton (Atlanta)"  wrote:

> > Or /Samlu'/  "found".
>
> /Samlu'/ fits better, too. Why should I use the indefinite
> subject prefix /-lu'/, though, instead of the perfective
> prefix /-pu'/?

The /-lu'/ on /Samlu'/ says that the records were found, without
specifying who or what found them.  Kind of useful for acircumstance
like this where the subject could be the searcher, the computer,
another computer, or a personofied computer "I."  Adding the
perfective /-pu'/ for "have been found" "done finding" is an excellent
idea.  (Note that it's not a matter of "instead" because /-lu'/ and
/-pu'/ are not the same type of suffix.

De'vam Samlu'pu' - this data has been found

(yes, I know that properly it should be "these data have," but then
I'd have to lace it with disclaimers about Klingon mass nouns and so
on).

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian