tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 13 07:45:44 1998

RE: KLBC - jIpaw. jIlegh. jIchargh.

---Burt Clawson <[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' Qov:
>
> 	> -Burt Clawson <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > KLBC - jIpaw.  jIlegh.  jIchargh.
> > >

> > > bIrIghmo' ghaHlaH pe''eghwI'ra''e'.
> > > "Because he is lame he can be your score keeper."
> >
> > This sentence has no right to live.  Would you prefer that I torture
> > it painfully, or will you give it a quick death?

> 	By all means, please torture the sentence and rip it to shreds.
> Else how can I learn?

luq. loQ chomer.  QaghmeylIj Daghovpu' 'e' vIpIHmo' DalaDqa'meH 'eb
qanob.  motlh Qaghmeyvetlh DaHeSbe'.  vIpojchoH.

> bIrIghmo' ghaHlaH pe''eghwI'ra''e'.
> "Because he is lame he can be your score keeper."

I can extract:
bIrIghmo' - because you (singular) are lame
(wrong prefix, seems to have nothing to do with the sentence)

pe''eghwI'ra''e' - your scorekeeper (emphasized) - ok

The rest of the sentence appears to be some sort of diseased PTB,
lacking a subject, or perhaps suffering horribly from non-OVS word
order.  I can't save it, and, torture it as I will, I can't extract
any more information from it.

To translate your English, I might say,

rIghmo' ghaH, pe''eghwI'ra' neH mojlaH.
(i.e. he is only capable of keeping score, in his position.)

rIghmo', pe''eghwI'ra' DalaH net chaw'.
(i.e. if he weren't lame, he'd be made to play)

rIghmo' ghaH, tlhIHvaD pe''eghnIS.
(i.e. we're insisting that he keep score and not play)

You were aiming at something like this:
rIghmo', pe''eghwI'ra' ghaHlaH

I think it's an English-like use of 'to be' and that a stronger,
clearer, more Klingon sentence would use another verb.  I don't like
the implication that his lameness somehow causes his ability to keep
score.

(By the way, for anyone lurking out there and cringing at the horrible
abuse I'm giving tuv'el, I want to assure you that I've singled out
tuv'el as my special torture victim.  I just like the colour of his
blood).
==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian