tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 02 11:09:10 1998

Re: KLBC - attempt at translation, v 1.1

---Roci <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well. generally speaking, the task of any good translator is
> distilling a mixture
> of syntax and ideas.
> Based on what I have seen here in a few days time, and almost 100
messages, there
> are some here whose translation work pays all attenton to
lingustics, which is
> very fine for the beginner, but at length, one must ask oneself if
such rigidity
> is common to the language used by native speakers. This is not a
criticism.
Beginners here are asked to translate their work quite literally to
show they understand the constructions they are using, and to help the
beginners' grammarian (me, at the moment) understand what they are
trying to express in Klingon.  If a beginner fails to express in
Klingon a concept that is present in the English, I assume s/he
doesn't know how to say that.  I often write translation excersises in
already stilted English, twisting my words towards the Klingon way of
saying something, so beginners don't have to work on recasting and
grammar at the same time.  If the beginner is translating posted
Klingon and doesn't translate a concept, I assume s/he missed the
subtlety.  If you've only been here a few days -- and welcome to the
list, thanks for delurking -- I can't think of any advanced
translations that have gone by in that time.  "Recasting" is a BIG
part of writing in Klingon.

TKW is a good example of translations.  Unnecessarily close
translations are used when the English is wanted to 'sound Klingon,'
but for example, often "well" is a better translation than "with
honour."   batlh bIHeghjaj.

vIcho'lu'pu'DI' 'ej QInmey vIlughnISbe'choHmoH lutmey vIqonlI'bogh
vIlab.  motlh lut 'ay vImugh.  bIH DalaD 'e' vItul.  vuDlIj HIja'.

translation: When I have been replaced as BG and I no longer need to
correct postings, I will send stories I am writing.  Typically I
translate a part of the story.  I hope you will read them and tell me
what you think.

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian