tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 01 20:20:42 1998

Re: Klingon Culture

>Ok, I know this is primarily a klingon language site but I am also hoping
that
>i can use this as a forum to discuss klingon culture.  After all language
is a
>major part of a culture.  I was thinking and the way klingons live is quite
>like how the samurai of fuedal japan lived.  They had sparse furnishings
and
>yearned for honor and combat.  However i did find one piece of information
>that is contradictory in a comparison of the two cultures and it is an
>honorable death.  The klingons believe that it is dishonorable to die by
one's
>own hand.  My question is why is this so? However in the Bushido it was
>considered honorable to die at one's own hands (showing courage and
integrity)
>and a disgrace to die at the hands of one's enemy (showing weakness).
Could
>anyone give me their personal throughts and opinions on this subject.
thank
>you.
>[email protected]

Just without thinking, (and not fully understanding either culture) I would
imagine that the dishonor stems from the wastage....a warrior who kills
himself is no longer able to fight, (duh!)..As I understand it the Bushido
way included suicide, (hari kari???), when a warrior had failed, whereas the
klingon who failed is given a severe reprimand, (and maybe a
beating  }}:-) ) and then is free to join the next battle.  Also I think its
important to point out that its not so much that its _honorable_ to die at
the hands of an enemy, but that its the _most_ honorable way to die, (okay,
the only H. way to die, but you see my point..)..

I'm not sure I expressed myself as eloquently, as I would have liked, but
its late, and I still have 468 messages to read.....

vIQleS
boSo maw'Ha'qu'
(http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~grangenc)

Back to archive top level