tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 27 21:30:09 1997

Re: KLBC: practise

[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
> }Do' nom 'oH vIlegh. Luckily I saw it quickly.
>
> The {'oH} isn't necessary here, or are you emphasising that you saw >it< as
> opposed to something else.

Using pronouns isn't ONLY for emphasis, it may also be used for clarification.
 In this case, he's got two adverbials before the verb, and it might sound
confusing without the object explicitly stated.  Saying {Do' nom vIlegh},
while correct, might make {nom} sound like a noun.  I think the occasional
pronoun for additional clarification is a good thing.

If it had been {Do' nom 'oH'e' vIlegh}, then you'd be absolutely right.

SuStel
Stardate 97741.8

Back to archive top level