tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 23 04:45:51 1997

KLBC: Verbs as Adverbs

HovpoH 97728.6

nuqneH.
*jatmey*vaD lutmey vIglhItlh 'e' vIqeq.

This post contains examples taken from a brief analysis I was working on
while composing a short story.  I believe that I have resolved the
initial uncertainty I experienced, but I would appreciate confirmation.
Please take a look to see if everything is correct.  The key word
representing my inquiry is the verb {Qup} "be young" used as verb and as
an adverb.

These examples show standard verb usage.

Qup tlhInganvetlh  ==  That Klingon is young.
subject == tlhInganvetlh  "that Klingon"  { tlhIngan+vetlh (N4) }
verb == Qup "be young"
object == none

jIH qIp tlhInganvetlh == That Klingon hit me.
subject == tlhInganvetlh "that Klingon" { tlhIngan+vetlh (N4) }
verb == qIp "hit"
object == jIH "me"

Here is the example containing my inquiry.

jIH qIp tlhInganvetlh Qup == That young Klingon hit me.
subject == tlhInganvetlh Qup "that young Klingon"  { tlhIngan+vetlh (N4)
/ Qup (adv) }
verb == qIp "hit"
object == jIH "me"

tlhIgnanvetlh qan HoHta' tlhInganvam Qup. <?>
This young Klingon killed that old Klingon.  <?>

Is this proper structuring and usage?

qatlho' choQaHmo'.
batlh qaqawtaH.
Qapla'!